The 5 pillars of AWS Well-Architected Framework
1. Operational Excellence
Ability to support development and run workload effectively, monitor and improve.
- Perform operations as code
- Make frequent, small, reversible changes
- Refine operations procedures frequently
- Anticipate failure
- Learn from all operational failures
Ability to protect all assets and improve your security.
- Implement a strong identity foundation
- Enable traceability
- Apply security at layers
- Automate best security practices
- Protect data in transit and at rest
- Keep people away from data
- Prepare for security events
Ability to perform the intended function correctly and consistently.
- Automate recover from failure
- Test recovery procedures
- Scale horizontally to increase aggregate workload availability
- Stop guessing capacity
- Manage change in automation
4. Performance Efficiency
Ability to use computing resource efficiently to meet system requirements and evolve.
- Democratize advanced technologies
- Go global in minutes
- Use serverless architectures
- Experiment more often
- Consider mechanical sympathy
5. Cost Optimization
Ability to run systems at the lowest price point.
- Implement cloud financial management
- Adopt a consumption model
- Measure overall efficiency
- Stop spending money on undifferentiated heavy lifting
- Analyze and attribute expenditure